About the ERLSD
- The Environmental Research and Laboratory Services Division (ERLSD), formerly known as the Research and Development Division (RDD), is one of the nine (9) divisions of EMB that support its functions and responsibilities embodied in legal instruments, e.g., Executive Order No. 192, signed in June 1987. It supports the implementation of the different environmental laws that the EMB is mandated to implement, particularly those requiring laboratory support services and research.
ERLSD QUALITY POLICY STATEMENT
- We, at the ERLSD, in support of the EMB-DENR’s mandate to preserve and protect the environment, are committed to generate reliable, accurate, traceable, and good quality data that will be used in the formulation of environmental criteria, standards and policies; assessment of the quality of the country’s environment; adjudication of pollution cases; and assessment of the enforcement of environmental standards and policies.
Basically, the ERLSD’s functions are to:
(1) generate good quality scientific data and information to support formulation of environmental policies, standards, rules and regulations on existing and anticipated environmental issues; formulate, develop, coordinate and implement short-term and long-term research programs and other environment-related activities at the national, and regional/ international levels;
(2) provide assistance in the implementation of environmental and pollution control laws and the conduct of environmental research programs;
(3) implement the DENR Environmental Laboratory Recognition Scheme;
(4) establish analytical capability for existing, new and other contaminants of emerging concern;
(5) recommend analytical methods to be used in the analysis of environmental samples and other media; and
(6) ensure data quality for compliance monitoring and enforcement through a sustained capacity building of central and regional office laboratory personnel.
The Division is composed of the following Sections, namely:
Environmental Laboratory Services Section (ELSS)
The ELSS manages the EMB Central Office Laboratory and performs the following functions:
- Implement the DENR Environmental Laboratory Recognition Scheme;
- Perform physical, chemical, and microbiological analyses of environmental samples (e.g. air, water, sediment, soil, biota) including but not limited to wastewater, stationary source emissions, hazardous waste, etc.
- Validate/ verify and recommend methods of analysis to complement activities relating to environmental quality and compliance monitoring, standards and criteria formulation;
- Establish analytical capabilities and conducts relevant researches in relation to existing, new and emerging environmental contaminants and pollutants;
- Provide training services and capacity-building activities to EMB Central, Regional and non-EMB laboratory personnel to harmonize analytical procedures, techniques, and quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) practices in environmental testing;
- Provide technical supervision and scientific support to EMB Regional Office laboratories on matters such as implementation of equipment calibration and maintenance program, QA/QC program, etc.
- Participate and/or provides analytical support to international, national and other environmental research projects and commitments; and
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent laws and regulations that apply to the operation of an environmental laboratory.
Environmental Research Section (ERS)
The ESRS performs the following functions:
- Develop and undertake new and continuing research studies and programs to support implementation of environmental laws, programs and international commitments;
- Process and evaluate research data to determine levels and trends of environmental contaminants and pollutants in air, water, soil/land, biota and other media in order to detect and or identify potential environmental problems and concerns;
- Coordinate with other EMB offices, regarding development and implementation of research activities; and provide inputs to policy formulation and criteria/guidelines/standards updating/setting; and
- Provide research articles for the DENR technical journal and or other scientific publications.