San Fernando City,
Province of La Union

 Back to Main Page



Pangasinan was officially conquered and colonized by D. Martin de Goite in 1571. It has always been known in historical accounts as Pangasinan meaning where salt is made. Governor General Ronquillo de Penalosa formally created Pangasinan as a province in 1850, making the province one of the earliest political and administrative units in the Philippines. Its territorial jurisdiction at that time included the present province of Zambales and parts of La Union and Tarlac. Lingayen was designated and remains up to the present as the provincial capital. Binalatongan, now San Carlos City was the largest town both in size and population. Dagupan, then a sitio of Lingayen was converted into a regular town in 1590. It was converging place of supporters of the rebellion led by Andres Malong in 1660.

Pangasinan's area of 5,368.82 square kilometers occupies the norther portion of the Central

Plains of Luzon with a east-west configuration that extends into a peninsular form juttling into the China Sea. Its boundaries are Lingayen Gulf, La Union and Benguet on the north, Nueva Vizcaya on the northeast, Nueva Ecija on the east, Tarlac on the south and Zambales and China Sea on the west.

English and Filipino are widely spoken and the basis tools of instruction in schools. Pangasinense is spoken in the central part of the province while Ilocano is spoken mostly by the people in the western and eastern towns. Bolinao has a dialect of its own.

Agriculture based industries remain to be the source of income of many. Prominent industries are bagoon making, handicrafts and gifts, toys and houseware making.

Tourist Attractions

A. Historical

Lingayen Public Beach. Beach facilities are found in this portion of Lingayen Gulf adjacent to the Provincial Capitol which was one of the landing areas of the American Forces on January 9, 1945 that paved the way for the Liberation of Northern Luzon

White Beach. The beach stretching from Nibaliw West to Mabilao in San Fabian was the landing area of Lt. General Homma, Commander of the Japanese Imperial Expeditionary Forces on December 24, 1941.

Limahong Channel. The Chinese Corsair Limahong proceeded north to Pangasinan when foiled of his attempt to establish a colony on the shore of Manila Bay. Pursued by the Spanish colonizers, he dug a channel in Domalandan, Lingayen that served as his escape way towards the China Sea.

Villa Verde Trail. The Red Arrow Monument at Villa Verde Trail in Sta. Maria East, San Nicolas where the 32nd Division of the United States Armed Forces in the Far East saw action in the pursuit of the retreating Japanese Forces.

Old Saint John Cathedral. It was in the old cathedral on Zamora Street, Dagupan, where the Spanish General Caballos surrendered to the Filipino military strategist, General Francisco Makabulos during the Philippine Revolution.

Bonuan Blue Beach. One of the landing sites of the Liberation Forces on January 9, 1945. This stretch of beach in Dagupan City features a Japanese Park, the Tondaligan Park and the MacArthur Landing Marker.

Lingayen Gulf War Memorial. On display at the park within the Provincial Capitol Compound are relics reminding the people of the last World War.

B. Natural

Hundred Islands National Park. Scattered off the coast of Lucap in Alaminos are islands and islets looking like giant turtles comprising the 1,844 hectares nature and recreational park. On many points between the islets, the waters are shallow for swimming and snorkling. The Quezon Island has picnic sheds, toilets and view decks. Children's Island is for camping activities while the Governor's Island had facilities for accomodation. Reservations are accepted at the Public Assistance Center where motorized bancas for trips to the islands are hired. Lucap is approximately 3 kilometers away from the town proper of Alaminos City.

Cacupangan Cave. The cave is approximately 5 kilometers away from the highway thru the Cemetery Road in Mabini. Its underground river flows into the Balincaguing River. Exploring the cave and its vicinity is recommended during the dry season.

Villacorta Caves. 20 meters long, 20 meters high and 20 meters wide. Accessible by means of a 200m. foot trail in Brgy. Villacorta from a roadway 7 kms. from the highway. Features huge basin-like formations, pools, waterfalls, terraced rock, palace-like chamber and gypsum flowers.

Santiago Island. The island, situated off the northeast coast of Bolinao is a favorite of scuba divers. Its corals are teeming with marine life.

Cape Bolinao Beach. The white beach in Barangay Patar is ideal for tourism purposes. Nearby is a freshwater source believed to be an outlet of an underground river. The surf is also ideal for board surfing.

Manleluag Spring National Park. Located about 7 kilometers uphill climb along the highway in Malabobo, Mangatarem, the forest park declared as a National Park in 1940 is suitable for special interest activities. Mangatarem is 178.47 kilometers away from Manila.

Tambobong White Beach. This stretch of white sand beach in Dasol is accessible through Burgos town about 258.5 kilometers away from Manila. Its water teems with marine life and a favorite of anglers and scuba divers.

Agno Umbrella Rocks. These mushroom shaped stone boulders dot the mouth of the Balingcaguing River in Sabangan, Agno.

Mount Balungao. Hot and cold springs are found in this 383 meters high Mount Balungao, about 5 kilometers southeast of the Balungao town proper. Many visits the place during summer mainly for medicinal use of the hotspring.

Antong Falls. Located 10 kilometers fromt he townproper of Sison, the falls cascade down a basin on a mountainside overlooking verdant sceneries of fores cover and rice fields, an ideal place for picnics and outdoor recreation.